Transport in Mammals

Dear 3P1 and 3A1! A great warm welcome back to school albeit it has to be done online. I am Mr Tan Kaiyuan, your new Biology teacher. This week’s home-learning will be based on this website. We have two periods this week, on Tuesday and Thursday. You are required to go through the few pages on this website and complete a task at the end of each period (ie. one task on each day). The latest you may submit your task for each day will be 2:30pm. The specific instructions for each day are given as follows: 

Tuesday (30th June 09)

1. Go through Section 11.1.1 (The Need for Effective Distribution), Section 11.1.2 (Transport in Multicellular Organisms) and Section 11.2.1 (Introduction to Mammalian Circulatory System). These pages are linked consecutively by the button below. Alternatively, you may navigate your way by using the Navigation column on the left.
  2. You may leave comments or queries at the end of each section in the comments field below. All are welcomed to answer and share opinions. I will also provide feedback to questions asked online and consider this discussion when I award your Oral Presentation points at the end of the term.
  3. TASK 1: After reviewing the three sections, navigate from the Navigation column on the left to your respective homepages (eg. 3P1 goes to “3P1 Homepage“) or go directly to the Task Page (“Task 1 (30/06/09 3P1) ”).
  4. The task MUST be accomplished by 2:30pm on Tuesday (30th June 09). I am required to submit a list of students from each class who had not accomplished their work by 4pm each day. 
  5.  

Thursday (2nd July 09) – Accessible only on Thursday Morning

1. Go through Section 11.2.2 (The Heart – Form and Function), Section 11.2.3 (The Vessels – Form and Function) and Section 11.2.4 (Blood – Components and Function). These pages are linked consecutively by the button below. Alternatively, you may navigate your way by using the Navigation column on the left.
  3. TASK 2: After reviewing the three sections, visit the Task Page for Task 2 for your respective classes. Please do not post in the wrong class page.
  4. The task MUST be accomplished by 2:30pm on Thursday (2nd July 09). I am required to submit a list of students from each class who had not accomplished their work by 4pm as well.  
  5.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

INTRODUCTION
In the previous chapter, we have already seen how food is assimilated into the body. However, in multicellular organisms, the digested food is not immediately available to the body cells that are far from the alimentary canal. For instance, nerve cells in the brain and muscle cells in the skeletal muscles are located much further away from the digested food than the cells that line the walls of the small intestines. How does multicellular organisms such as ourselves solve this problem? The solution lies with the circulatory system. Let’s begin our e-learning journey through the circulatory system. Feel free to put a comment or post a query below at any point in time or in the following pages. Also, anyone can answer anyone else’s questions. The answer need not come from me. Click “NEXT” to continue to Section 11.1.1.